How can I pipe input into passwd?

WEAVERLING 00499 at vax1.acs.udel.edu
Fri Aug 25 08:45:09 AEST 1989

I administrate a UNIX sys at the college I work at.  They gave me this
box last year. At that time I had never touched UNIX before, even as a
user!

I've been doing OK so far, but I'm stumped on one thing. Each quarter I
have to generate 500 user IDs for students. I build a script that
does this (by piping into sysadm) from student registration data from
our administrative mainframe (Unisys A5).

THE PROBLEM! How can I easily enter passwords for each account auto-
magically. I can't pipe into passwd cause he goes after /dev/tty. I'd
use makekey, but Prime (in their infinite wisdom) doesn't include it
with their unix (or crypt).

Details... Box is Prime EXL 316 running Microport's UNIX V/386 3.0
(3.1 is "in the mail").  Bourne shell is all we have. I *do* know
C but am still learning the myriad of UNIX routines available.

Any help appreciated. Please no flames, I've read all of the *fine*
manuals I got.  E-mail to me and I'll summarise and post. Thx :-)

Ken Weaverling
Delaware Technical & Community College
+1 302 573 5460

Internet: 00499 at vax1.acs.udel.edu    (one day my box will be on the net :-)