Connect processes on the Ethernet.

Martin Stein ATT3B%UCONNVM.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu
Sat Dec 2 03:04:06 AEST 1989

Here, we have 4 ATT 3B machines, connected by the Ethernet. On one
of these machines a printer is attached that runs fine with the lp
package. But you want to print from the other machines, too.

The first solution i came up with was piping the files to print to a
remote shell on the printer-machine. To do this you had to have an
account on the printing-machine. That was no good.

Then i thought about creating a user 'remotelp' on every machine, that
pipes or rcp's the print-files to the user 'remotelp' on the printing-
machine, who runs a very restricted shell, that can just print. I didn't
get this to work either. Maybe i just didn't try hard enough.

The most satisfying solution would probably be, to run some kind of
lp-demons on the non-printing machines and connect them via TCP/IP.
I would like to know how to do that. Best would probably be streams
or sockets. But the manual doesn't tell you how connect two processes
(nor with streams, neither sockets.)

Has anybody done this and has a simple example program?
Is there any literature available?

Martin Stein, UCONN Computer Center