Norton utilities for UNIX (was: drawtree for Unix/Sun/curses?)

Aris Stathakis aris at tabbs.UUCP
Thu Dec 7 18:46:54 AEST 1989

>From article <11758 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, by gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn):
> In article <11976 at phoenix.Princeton.EDU> subbarao at phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kartik Saligrama Subbarao) writes:
}>    Here is a question I have been wanting to ask for a long time but
}> always forgot to. WHY doesn't someone make a whole NORTON UTILITES
}> for UNIX? I mean, it is SO easy to unerase files in MS-DOS. If UNIX
}> is a superior operating system, why hasn't someone come up with a
}> qu command to unerase files, an ncd to change directories and some of
}> the other goodies we get with the Norton Utilities 4.5 Advanced
}> Edition?
}
} UNIX is a multi-user, multi-processing, timesharing system; consequently,
} if you mistakenly remove the last link to a file (does Norton give you
} links?), the data blocks having been reclaimed by the system are likely
} to have been overwritten by other processes before you have time to take
} remedial action.

Ok, maybe not undeleting files - but i'd give my left nut to see a
Norton Commander under Xenix - or any tool that will let me manipulate
files quickly and easily under Xenix.  Even a utility like NCD would
make life ALOT easier.

Just a thought...

Aris

--
Aris Stathakis | Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!aris or aris at tabbs.UUCP
         - Gimme a beer and money sandwich....  Hold the bread -