rn as a batch process, again

Charles Packer packer at chrpserv.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sat Dec 16 09:07:33 AEST 1989

This message supercedes an earlier one.

I would like to run "rn" as a batch process to get all the
messages from selected newsgroups into a file or files
so that I can FTP them over to the VAX, a programming
environment in which I am more at home.  I tried a command
procedure (or "script", as they're known here) that simply
invoked rn and then exited with a "q", like this:

	rn

but it bombed with a message "Caught a SIGSEGV--.newsrc restored".
Then I learned how to redirect input using "<". So I created
a file of rn commands, "aa.com", to use in the command "rn<aa.com".
I tried something simple:

I figured that if I typed in the line "rn<aa.com" it would invoke
rn, pass by three news groups, and exit.  Instead, it seemed to
hang on the first "n", since it got into an infinite loop of
passing by newsgroups until I issued a Ctrl-Z.