SUMMARY/RESULTS: Binders VS Non-binders survey (LONG)

Andrew Hume andrew at alice.UUCP
Sat Dec 16 16:06:17 AEST 1989

sorry to somehow missed voting on this survey.

we have tried a few different formats for the manual for
research unix and by far the best was the sewn/glued format
for the last (ninth) edition. despite over three years of hard
(ab)use in the unix room, none of teh manuals are falling apart
and despite being about 700 pages, it stays flat at almost any
page. we are using this format for both volumes of the next manual.
this binding is called 'smythe sewn' and is expensive (about 20%
of the basic cost of producing the book).