stderr & csh

Rebecca J. Oakes skeeve at eng.umd.edu
Thu Dec 7 13:57:16 AEST 1989

     This question may sound DUMB, but please read it!!!!!!
Using CSH, how do you redirect ONLY stderr?  Before you all say
"idiot, just use >&", try this program.......

#include "stdio.h"
/* to compile:  cc -o erronly erronly.c */
/* to run:      erronly >& outfile      */
main()
{
	fprintf(stderr, "I know you won't believe me ");
	fprintf(stdout, "until you read this file!!\n");
}

     As stated in THE UNIX C SHELL FIELD GUIDE, written by Gail Anderson &
Paul Anderson, on page 64, ">& also redirects the standard output".
--
      \\                        | /^\ - Cyber Spud

"Life is a series of rude awakenings." - R. V. Winkle