sparse files

Fred Fish fnf at estinc.UUCP
Sun Dec 10 08:01:51 AEST 1989

In article <235 at dg.dg.com> uunet!dg!rec (Robert Cousins) writes:
>In article <21581 at adm.BRL.MIL> JAZBO at brownvm.brown.edu (James H. Coombs) writes:
>>Can someone explain exactly what a sparse file is?  How does one get created?
>
>A sparse file is one which has "holes" in it.  Specifically, the amount of
>space required to store the file on disk is less than the length of the
>file (offset of the last byte).  A sparse file can be created under UNIX
>by creating a file and then simply choosing not to write some portions
>of the file.  The following program creates a sparse file:

[program deleted]

This is about the 2nd or 3rd posting I've seen with a sample program to
create sparse files.  You guys are working too hard!  :-)

Try:

	echo "This is a sparse file." | dd of=sparsefile seek=1000 bs=1k

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048           asuvax!{nud,mcdphx}!estinc!fnf