Termcap/Terminfo questions. (He'p me please!)

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Tue Dec 19 07:23:15 AEST 1989

In article <630 at cogent.UUCP> doug at cogent.UUCP (Doug Perlich) writes:
> I do not want to use
> curses or termcap functions.

Why not?  Termlib can support...

> do an initialization routine
> at user start up that will load all the needed information into the
> users shared memory segment since the information will be needed
> by several processes, (everything running under a menu system).

Now terminfo is a different matter. Get a PD copy of termcap and hack
on it. It's easy enough.

> #1 What about time delays?

If the first character of a string is a digit, it's preceded by a per-unit
time delay. I.e., dc=4\E[P, means delay for 4 ms for each character
deleted.

> #2 I don't want to call termcap's tgoto() routine for cursor addressing

Why not?

> #3 I also want to know about switching from 80 to 132 column and back.
> I don't see that information anywhere.

It's not standard. For termcap, you could just add a new capability. For
terminfo you're out of luck.

Personally, I think terminfo sucks.
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter at ficc.uu.net>.