Norton utilities for UNIX (was: drawtree for Unix/Sun/curses?)

P E Smee exspes at gdr.bath.ac.uk
Fri Dec 15 08:00:52 AEST 1989

In article <370 at wshb.UUCP> michaelb at wshb.UUCP ( WSHB employee) writes:

>   I think this question deserves a lot more attention than it's getting.
>... If Unix is to capture
>a significant share of the desktops in the world, it has got to become easier
>for the unfamiliar to use.

Well, join the club, then.  I've always claimed that while Unix is a
great development system for use by experienced programmers, it borders
on criminal to turn naive users loose on it unless you've provided a
less arcane and more friendly wrapper.  It never ceases to amaze me (in
the portion of my job which is 'user support' just how many innocent
looking ways people can find to get themselves into trouble.  The
'non-computer' folk (those who are NOT interested in computers but just
want to use them to help with problems they ARE interested in) seem to
prefer (MS,PC)-DOS or VAX VMS.  A less-rich environment keeps them out
of trouble.
--
Paul Smee, Univ of Bristol Comp Centre, Bristol BS8 1TW, Tel +44 272 303132
 Smee at bristol.ac.uk  :-)  (..!uunet!ukc!gdr.bath.ac.uk!exspes if you MUST)