Invoking shell scripts in cron

Rich Salz rsalz at bbn.com
Fri Dec 8 02:42:23 AEST 1989

I'm on a system without per-user crontab's (4.2BSD, Sun3.x, Ultrix, etc.).

I want to invoke a shell script under the news userid.  I also want to
have as few intermediate shells lying around as possible.  What
combination of 'exec' and 'su -c' calls do I need to do?  This is what I'm
currently doing,
	su news -c 'exec /usr/lib/news/send-nntp'
but it leaves a couple of shell processes around.

Is this the keep-minimal-processes-around line?
	exec su news /usr/lib/news/send-nntp

Replies to me will get summarized to this group.  Thanks.
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz at uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.