need medline -> refer translator

Robin Colgrove robin at ccb.ucsf.edu
Sat Dec 16 10:51:41 AEST 1989

Hi folks
I am in desperate
(read: frantically trying to finish thesis writing)
need of a way to convert medline references form the the
National Library of Medicine's online files to refer or BibIX format.
Does anybody have a program/shell-script/awk-program/whatever to do
this? I want to go from the standard medline format:

1. Colgrove R; Simon G; Ganem D.
     Transcriptional activation of homologous and heterologous genes by the
   hepatitis B virus X gene product in cells permissive for viral replication.
     Journal of Virology, 1989 Sep, 63(9):4019-26.

3. Hirsch R; Colgrove R; Ganem D.
     Replication of duck hepatitis B virus in two differentiated human hepatoma
   cell lines after transfection with cloned viral DNA.
     Virology, 1988 Nov, 167(1):136-42.

etc...
to refer or BiBIX form like so...

%A R. Colgrove
%A G. Simon
%A D. Ganem
%D 1989
%T Transcriptional activation of homologous and heterologous genes by the
%T hepatitis B virus X gene product in cells permissive for viral replication.
%J Journal of Virology
%V 63(9)
%P 4019-26

etc...

Help me. Mr wizard,
I don't wanna be a graduate student anymore...!

thanx
robin colgrove
robin at ccb.ucsf.edu