Messages in SYS V

Thomas Bullinger tom at cci632.UUCP
Fri Dec 22 03:10:16 AEST 1989

Hello all, and thanks for your attention!
I'm trying to understand the messaging tools in System V UNIX, and I've
written a program to execise these things. However, I seem to have a
problem allocating message queues after debugging for awhile. Here's what
happens:

    I start my program, and messages begin to fly all over,
    Everything works fine, I exit normally, no problem.
    Now if I start my program, allow messages to start passing
    out and about, and then crash my program, I think it leaves
    the message queue still assigned to my program. After doing this
    a few times, I seem to run out of queues, and my program hangs
    while trying to allocate a new queue. This hanging problem
    persists until the machine is re-booted.

Obviously, I can't go around booting a machine with tons of users, I
wouldn't last too long! :-) So my question is (finally):

    Is there any way to find out what queues are assigned to me or
    my programs, and how can I clean up queues left over from
    a premature program exit?

Thanks again for sticking with me this far, I hope someone can help!!

   tom..

[]
[]
[]