RPC packages for Fortran (summary)

Ralph Finch rfinch at caldwr.UUCP
Sun Dec 3 05:43:17 AEST 1989

David Forslund (dwf at lanl.gov) suggested I try ISIS, available via ftp
from cornell.arpa.  I downloaded this and am quite impressed.  It
seems much easier to use than rpc, more capable, and can be called
from Fortran, a big plus for me.  It is discussed in the group
comp.sys.isis.  I enclose a brief description of it here (description
excerpted from a message by ken at cs.cornell.edu (Ken Birman), 9 June
88).

This is to announce the availability of a public distribution  of
the  ISIS  System,  a  toolkit for distributed and fault-tolerant
programming.  The initial version of ISIS runs on  UNIX  on  SUN,
DEC,  GOULD,  and  HP  systems, although ports to other UNIX-like
systems are planned for the future.  No kernel changes are needed
to support ISIS; you just roll it in and should be able to use it
immediately.  The current implementation of ISIS performs well in
networks of up to about 100-200 sites.

--- Who might find ISIS useful? ---

You will find ISIS useful if you  are  interested  in  developing
relatively sophisticated distributed programs under UNIX (eventu-
ally, other systems too).  These include programs that distribute
computations over multiple processes, need fault-tolerance, coor-
dinate activities  underway  at  several  places  in  a  network,
recover  automatically from software and hardware crashes, and/or
dynamically reconfigure while maintaining some  sort  of  distri-
buted  correctness  constraint at all times.  ISIS is also useful
in building certain types of distributed real time systems.

--
Ralph Finch		The opinions expressed herein are mine...
...ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!rfinch