Remote remote dump program - I blew it

Ross Parker parker at zaphod.mpr.ca
Tue Dec 12 11:18:23 AEST 1989

For those that have written to me expressing interest in getting
a copy of my 'remote remote dump' program, well, I'm feeling a little
ashamed of myself at the moment. I was just looking through the code
to see if it all looked ok to send out, and quickly realized that I
had forgotten that I used some Berkeley code in it... specifically the
'rlogin' protocol machine. As such, I can't release the code at the
moment.

Due to the amount of interest, however, I will try to find the time to
go through this code and de-Berkeleyize it (if possible).

Does anyone know how stringent the copyright for code like this is?
The rlogin protocol machine is definitely not obscure code... it's
written in a pretty standard way. I imagine taking the code and
changing variable names, etc, is not sufficient for protecting
Berkeley's copyright, but any code I write will essentially do the
same thing. Anyone care to comment on this?

BTW, I have good mail address for everyone who responded to me
except for 'serge at zooks'. Can you give me a little more info, Serge?

Ross Parker				parker at mpre.mpr.ca
(604)293-5495				uunet!ubc-cs!mpre!parker