ls -l

Steve Mawer scm at dlcq15.datlog.co.uk
Fri Dec 1 20:37:29 AEST 1989

In article <21519 at adm.BRL.MIL> SIMSN%NUSDISCS.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
> What could be the possible reasons that cause ls -l
> to be slow, i.e. one line at a time at 1 sec interval?

On AIX (spit!) I've found that this happens when the user and/or group IDs
don't exist in the password and/or group files.  With lots of entries in
the password file it takes a looooooong time to not find a name.

You can tell if this is your problem by checking the `ls' output - are
there user names or numbers against the files?  If numbers, change the
owner and/or group as necessary to an existing one.

This may (or may not) occur on other systems, I've not noticed it on Ultrix
or Xenix, but I could have just been lucky :-).

Hope this helps.
--
Steve C. Mawer        <scm at datlog.co.uk> or < {backbone}!ukc!datlog!scm >
                       Voice:  +44 1 863 0383 (x2153)