Recalling Commands in Unix?

Kirtikumar Satam satam at ecs.umass.edu
Tue Dec 26 20:13:17 AEST 1989

In article <5141 at blake.acs.washington.edu>,
gnat at blake.acs.washington.edu (Laura Frazier) writes:
> Is there any command in Unix comparable to  ^B in VMS that will allow me
> to recall previous commands instead of typing them repeatedly?
>
> Are there likewise commands like ^J , ^A, etc., that will edit
> commands once I recall them?

On ULTRIX, a new "csh" is provided. It allows browsing thru' commands
like VMS using up-down arrow keys. Once the command is recalled, it
can be edited using "vi" like commands i.e. 'x' for delete, 'i' for
insert etc.

But, I am not aware of any other shell on any other UNIX doing such things.

-satam
Kirtikumar "Mumbaichaa" Satam
INTERNET : satam at ecs.umass.edu
BITNET : satam at umaecs.bitnet
217 Northwood Apts, Sunderland, MA 01375   Tel# 413-665-3222