drawtree for Unix/Sun/curses?

Dan Smith daniel at island.uu.net
Sat Dec 9 13:09:48 AEST 1989

In article <11976 at phoenix.Princeton.EDU> subbarao at phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kartik Saligrama Subbarao) writes:
>    Here is a question I have been wanting to ask for a long time but
> always forgot to. WHY doesn't someone make a whole NORTON UTILITES
> for UNIX? I mean, it is SO easy to unerase files in MS-DOS. If UNIX
> is a superior operating system, why hasn't someone come up with a
> qu command to unerase files, an ncd to change directories and some of
> the other goodies we get with the Norton Utilities 4.5 Advanced
> Edition?

	Vtree (and dtree) is a freely available PD program which shows the
subdirectory tree.  NCD is a very good program for Messy-Dos, and
it should not be that tough to implement under curses.  Dired is also
nice.

	UNIX [*] is superior to MS DOS in many ways; few would argue with
that...there are many ways of using aliases or otherwise replacing "rm"...one
of the quickest solutions is to make a ~/.trash directory, and make the alias:

alias rm	'mv -f \!* ~/.trash'

[*] especially BSD (fast file system, symlinks, etc.)

				dan
--
   dansmith at well.sf.ca.us   daniel at island.uu.net   unicom!daniel at pacbell.com
ph: (415) 332 3278 (h), 491 1000 (w) disclaimer: Island's coffee was laced :-)