UNIX logging question.

Fuat C. Baran fuat at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
Sat Dec 9 11:49:40 AEST 1989

In article <300 at rulcvx.uucp> crissl at rulcvx.UUCP (Stefan Linnemann) writes:
>On our system, a Convex C210, failed logins are logged in
>/usr/adm/badlogins.  Though Convex uses a BSD derived Unix, they have
>modified it, so I can't tell whether this is a common place or just
>Convex's.

On BSD 4.3 based systems (I believe), such as SunOS 4.x and UMAX 4.3,
failed logins, root logins, records of successful and failed su's are
logged using syslog(3).  Logging is done to the "auth" facility
(LOG_AUTH) and where the output goes can be configured via the
/etc/syslog.conf file.  We keep ours in /var/log/sulog (or
/var/adm/sulog).

					--Fuat
Internet: fuat at columbia.edu          U.S. MAIL: Columbia University
  BITNET: fuat at cunixc                           Center for Computing Activities
    UUCP: ...!rutgers!columbia!cunixc!fuat      712 Watson Labs, 612 W115th St.
   Phone: (212) 854-5128                        New York, NY 10025