Call-in & call-out on the same line (AGAIN)

williams at cs.umass.edu williams at cs.umass.edu
Fri Dec 1 04:26:37 AEST 1989

I saved a discussion in the group from Sept/Oct concerning trying to use the
same terminal line for dailin/dialout on a Sun.  I am now trying to get this
working myself and am having problems.  I wonder if anyone can suggest a
solution from the following description?

Sun 3/60 running SunOS V4

The problem is that if ttyd0 is turned on in /etc/ttytab, a getty is
sitting on the line and tip complains that all ports are busy even
though tip is using device cua0 and getty is using ttyd0.

ps shows:

 7099 d0 I     0:00 - Fast-Dial-1200 ttyd0 (getty)

Now, the manual says "You should not see a getty on the port, except
momentarily as the port receives a call".  This is not true in my
case, but there are a number of mistakes in this section of the manual
and another posting on the subject said that the getty running on
ttyd0 would be "blocked" when cua0 was in use.  Which is correct?
Should the getty always be there or not?  If I turn line ttyd0 off in
/etc/ttytab then I can dialout with tip umass.  I have checked for
lock files in /var/spool and /var/spool/uucp.  For testing purposes, I
do not now have a modem plugged into the port so there are no
characters being sent to the port nor is carrier detect being asserted.

A description of pertinent files and changes to the system follows:

The kernal has been reconfigured for hardware carrier detect via:

device		zs0 at obio ? csr 0x20000 flags 0x2 priority 3

and installed.

ttya was moved to ttyd0 and a node was made for cua0:

crw-------  1 uucp      12, 128 Nov 29 20:16 cua0
crw--w--w-  1 root      12,   0 Nov 29 20:16 ttyd0

The following changes were made to /etc/ttytab:

ttya	"/usr/etc/getty std.1200"	unknown		off
ttyd0	"/usr/etc/getty Fast-Dial-1200"	dialup		on

followed by kill -1 1.

The file /etc/ttytype did not exist on my system so I created it:

dialup ttyd0

My /etc/remote is as follows:

umass:\
	:pn=5453090%:tc=VMS-1200: