SunOS 4.0 - tty??/cua? troubles

Greg Limes limes at sun.com
Wed Dec 6 13:25:24 AEST 1989

In article <1497 at uop.uop.EDU> nsayer at uop.EDU (Nick Sayer) writes:

>  I have a Sun 2/170 with a standard Hayes compatable modem. I have two
>  /dev entries for the tty port it resides on, /dev/ttym0 and /dev/cua0.
>  In the nutshell UUCP book, it says that if I put ttym0 in /etc/ttytab
>  and /dev/cua0 in /etc/uucp/L-devices ...

[explains the expected workings of dialin/dialout, and complains that
his getty is not being held off until carrier is detected]

Nick -- the GENERIC kernels are configured with the "softcarrier"
flags turned on, so that terminals may be attached to the serial ports
without worrying about things like supplying a carrier indication on
the port's DCD pin.

You need to get into your kernel configuration file and change the
flag word for the port so that the bit corresponding to the modem line
is a zero, not a one; rebuild the kernel (with "config" and "make" as
described in the documentation on such things), reboot, and your getty
should wait around. Yes, the Sun will raise DTR when the getty starts
trying to open the port.

Of course, you mention /dev/ttym0, which us normally associated with
the Central Data Octal serial card -- and I have never actually seen
one of these beasts, even when I was a customer. If you already
configured the kernel as described above, then I quitely suggest that
you contact Sun Customer service (which I hear is getting better) or
the sun-spots mailing list.

-- greg limes [limes at eng.sun.com]
   no longer the serial driver person, but i remember ...
--
-- Greg Limes	limes at eng.sun.com	...!sun!limes	73327,2473	[choose one]