Academic workstations : Macintosh ...

Frank W. Peters peters at cc.msstate.edu
Tue Jun 13 23:09:24 AEST 1989

> We have several Apple-IIx's running AU/X, and it's *awful*. The compiler
> sucks and the machine is basically slow.

Are you running A/UX 1.0 or 1.1?   I agree with your comments about the speed
of 1.0...but 1.1 is a *much* better product.  If you're not using it I suggest
you give it a try before abandoning A/UX.

As for the compiler, I can't comment since I use gcc, the GNU C compiler
available for anonymous FTP from Apple.Com.

I think when I get X windows in it'll be a real nice box...not a screamer but
a good general purpose UNIX box.

Just one man's two cents worth.

--Frank

| Systems & Networks Programmer      |   Mississippi State University  |
| Phone:    (601) 325-2942           |   Computing Center and Services |
| Internet:  peters at CC.MsState.Edu   |   Post Office Drawer CC         |
| BITNET:    PETERS at MSSTATE.BITNET   |   Mississippi State, MS.  39762 |