Frequently asked questions in these groups deserve a monthly posting

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Wed Jun 7 11:22:28 AEST 1989

 >   I would like to see the following disclaimer posted at the head
 >of each of these summaries.  My justification follows the disclaimer:
 >
 ><< --------------------------------------------------------------------->>
 >   WARNING!!
 >
 >   This is a list of FREQUENTLY asked questions and answers, and you are
 >   invited to read this list as a CONVENIENCE to see if an answer to your
 >   question has been posted in the past.   These answers are moderated, so
 >   they are quite reliable.
 >
 >   It is NOT NECESSARY for you to read this list before posting a question
 >   to this newsgroup;  it is considered BAD nettiquette to flame any one
 >   for asking a question that is answered in this posting.
 ><< ---------------------------------------------------------------------->>
 >
 >   I am still worried about constriction of the bandwidth of this
 >newsgroup.   I am afraid that someone will ask a question that has
 >been asked before, that is summarized in the monthly posting, and
 >some jerk will flame them for not reading the monthly posting.

The following text appeared in the proposed version of the posting:

	What About Those People Who Continue to Ask Stupid or Frequently
		Asked Questions In Spite of This Document?

	Just send them a polite mail message, possibly referring them to
	this document.  There is no need to flame them on the net - it's
	busy enough as it is.

The following text also appeared:

	Later on in this article, you'll see the answers to some Frequently
	Asked Questions.  Please don't ask these questions again, they've
	been answered plenty of times already.  Thank you.  ...

so, while it's not absolutely *necessary* that they read the FAQ posting
first, it is certainly *recommended* that they do so, and this is a Good
Thing.  For one thing, if they find the answer in that posting, it may
mean their question'll be answered more quickly than if they posted
first....