Is there any wordprocessor in unix

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.COM
Thu Jun 29 14:55:45 AEST 1989

In article <19907 at cup.portal.com>, dbell at cup.portal.com (David J Bell) writes:

> OK, *roff will *format* most anything I want. But what about a friendly,
> near-modeless, full-screen editor? Like WordPerfect, frinstance?

[ praise-and-hype-mode ON ]

We have been using WordPerfect for UNIX on the 3B2 and 386, and
we have been absolutely delighted with it.  WP Corp did an
excellent job maintaining the look-and-feel of the DOS version
while still giving it a solid UNIX flavor.  They support lots of
terminals%, and they even have real plastic keyboard overlays for
them.  It appears that the files are compatible with those on a
DOS machine (determined empirically), and it is reasonably fast.

This is a very professional implementation, and it does not bode
well for the other UNIX word processors.

      Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl / V-Systems, Inc. / Santa Ana, CA / +1 714 545 6442
3B2-kind-of-guy   / friedl at vsi.com  / {attmail, uunet, etc}!vsi!friedl