Interprocess communications - help! :(

Don Libes libes at cme.nbs.gov
Tue Jun 20 08:30:04 AEST 1989

In article <4107 at merlin.usc.edu> cyamamot at castor.usc.edu (Cliff Yamamoto) writes:
>	I'm trying to write a program which can monitor the values of the
>numerical variables of another program in "almost" real-time.  I've looked
>into 'ptrace' and shared memory but I think I'd like to use sockets.

I wrote a shared-variable interface which uses the BSD socket stuff
underneath.  It was designed to do exactly the stuff you describe.
It was written up in the USENIX Winter '85 proceedings.  If you are
interested, you can ftp it from durer.cme.nist.gov.  Retrieve the
directory ~ftp/pub/cm.  The paper is included along with lots of
examples.

Even if you don't use it, the code includes a nice library for making
client/server modules a snap.  All public-domain.

Don Libes          libes at cme.nbs.gov      ...!uunet!cme-durer!libes