CS 102: Re: Question about paging and swapping

Andrew Cunningham andyc at hpopd.HP.COM
Wed Jun 21 18:27:09 AEST 1989

At University of Reading (one) recommended text is "Operating System Concepts"
by Peterson & Silberschatz; this includes a good description of
pagin and swapping from an OS independent viewpoint.  Basically, the
difference is:
	swapping ==> whole process swapped out
	paging ==> part of process swapped out

The book also includes a fairly extensive analysis (not formally) of various
algorithms, and points out the pitfalls of most schemes.  The book also
has a chapter describing UNIX; well worth a read if you're interested in
OS's - if anyone's really interested, I can provide ISBN etc, but the
book's at home at the moment.

"Operating System Fundamentals" by Lister also covers this, but not in so
much detail.

I'm speaking as a student of the University, not as an employee of HP - even
if I'm spending the next 10 months or so with HP.

(Phew, I managed not to plug "Computer Systems for Cmpurter Programmers" by
Roger Loader and John Graham, which gives a more introductory approach to
Operating Systems..... :-)  (-:   )

Andrew Cunningham, HP Software Engineering Systems Division, Pinewood
E-mail:      	andyc at hpopd.HP.COM     ||          hplabs!hpopd!andyc