Frequently asked questions in these groups deserve a monthly posting

David C Lawrence tale at pawl.rpi.edu
Wed Jun 7 13:09:31 AEST 1989

Anyone who still thinks we don't need this posting probably has not been
reading this group for more than a month; here comes the latest round
of "Why is grep named the way it is?", one of the questions answered
in news.announce.newusers:Answers to Frequently Asked Questions.  Now
why don't people read that document?  It's not poorly written ... it
is quite interesting in some ways.  (I love the part about Indiana and
trying to legislate the ratio of dimensions of a circle.)

This isn't a flame to whoever asked the grep question to begin with (I
don't even remember who it was and I shan't look it up just to point
fingers) but would you please read news.announce.newusers, even if you
aren't techinically a newuser?  And when the monthly posting comes
around for comp.unix.{questions,wizards} would everyone please read it
the first time they see it?  Thanks.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale at pawl.rpi.edu" "tale at itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale at rpitsmts.bitnet"))
  "I realize the Internet isn't the whole world, but it is the center of it."