SUMMARY: Need help spawning a child

Brian Litzinger brian at apt.UUCP
Fri Jun 23 05:58:06 AEST 1989

brian at apt.UUCP (Brian Litzinger):
> I have a daemon process that spawns child processes to do some
> sub-tasks.  The sub-tasks are asynchronise and the parent doesn't
> care how successful the children are.  Therefore the parent process
> never waits for the child.  This results in my process table filling
> up with <defunct> processes over time.

Thanks to all who responded to my question.  My server is now happily
spawning child processes and not filling up my processes table with
defunct processes.

The solution to my problem is written out in simple english in the
man page for signal(2).  Which explains why I missed it 8-).

>From signal(2):
    SIG_IGN - ignore signal
	The signal is to be ignored.  Also, if sig is SIGCLD, the
	calling process's child processes will not create zombie
	processes when they terminate [see exit(2)].

<>  Brian Litzinger @ APT Technology Inc., San Jose, CA
<>  UUCP:  {apple,sun,pyramid}!daver!apt!brian    brian at apt.UUCP
<>  VOICE: 408 370 9077      FAX: 408 370 9291