SCCS vs RCS

Jeffrey Kegler jeffrey at algor2.UUCP
Sat Jun 24 11:22:49 AEST 1989

In article <494 at silence.princeton.nj.us> jay at silence.princeton.nj.us (Jay Plett) writes:

>Several people have discussed the relative merits of RCS and SCCS.
>Did I just miss it, or has nobody mentioned the greatest advantage
>that RCS has over SCCS?  RCS is freely available as source code.

It is certainly an important point, though not an overwhelming advantage
for all users.  SCCS is more common, so if the stuff is to be ported and
the people on the target are to be able to take advantage of the history,
SCCS is better.  RCS could be ported of course, but to ask that under some
circumstances is not reasonable (or even where reasonable, not possible :-
)) The fact that SCCS is AT&T supported makes it a better choice for some
clients.

Particularly, every programmer should know the basics of SCCS, even if they
do not use it day to day.  This is for the same reason that they should
know ed, even though they always use vi or emacs, and that they should know
sh, even though they use ksh or csh.

IMHO, RCS is technically smoother, and the advantage of having source is
overwhelming where I personally am concerned and porting to unknown
environments is not a worry.  I wind up using SCCS more, though.
--

Jeffrey Kegler, President, Algorists,
jeffrey at algor2.UU.NET or uunet!algor2!jeffrey