How do I recover from a system crash ?

52111-dennis ddski at mhgki.att.com
Sat Jun 24 05:34:43 AEST 1989

How do I recover from a UNIX system crash on an AT&T PC6300+ ?

Background:
	I have a pc6300+ with ROM BIOS Vers. 2.05, running
	UNIX System V Release 2.0 Ver. 2.5 and
	Simul-Task 3.2 Vers. 2.5

What happened:
	While the system was up and running, for some reason it
	went into a "restart" mode (due to low power supply voltage?).
	While the system was coming back up it displayed a message
	saying a cleanup of the root file system was taking place.
	Then, the system crashed (went into "restart") again!
	This time, when the system was coming up, I received the
	following message:

		INIT: Cannot open /etc/inittab. errno: 2
		ENTER RUN LEVEL (0-6,s, or S):

What do I do now?
	I tried the simple minded approach, turning the computer off
	and back on again, and of course got the same message.
	( I can dream, can't I ?)

	Any suggestions will be greatfully accepted.  I'm not looking
	forward to the many hours it would take me to re-install the
	entire operating system, not to mention the files I would lose.