4.3 Tahoe

Leeland Heins heins at atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu
Sat Jun 24 06:23:02 AEST 1989

In article <18238 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>In article <102451 at felix.UUCP> cal at felix.UUCP (Cal J. Myers) writes:
>>... some recommending getting 4.3 tahoe.  So here is my question.
>>How does one go about it?  Who do you talk to?  And how much does it cost?

... much stuff deleted ...

>You left out one question:
>
>-What do you get on the tape(s)?
>
>The tapes contain the full source tree [1] for both the VAX and the
>Tahoe, including kernel and all user utilities.  They also have boot
>images and binaries FOR THE TAHOE ONLY.  The VAX sources were not
>extensively tested before cutting the master tape, and apparently there
>are a few glitches.

   I think a few things are missing (stuff that used to be in /etc that is
now supposed to be in /usr/adm/bin like adduser -- I couldn't find the source
for it on the Tahoe tapes...  I just grabbed the source I couldn't find from
our 4.3 tapes).  Going from 4.3 -> 4.3-Tahoe looks much preferable to
going from 4.2 -> 4.3-Tahoe.

>  You can expect installation to take some effort.

   I never would have guessed :-)

>Keith Bostic wrote up some instructions based on reports given back to
>Berkeley; I imagine these are included with current orders.

   We got some of this stuff mailed to us later (after we already got the
system installed though :-( but they do look like they'd help.

>Note:
>[1] There is only a single source tree, but occasionally it takes
>    machine-dependent branches, e.g., for the compilers and for
>    assembly language routines.

    Here is one of the most tricky things...  getting the link set right
so it gets MACHINE=vax and picks the right source tree for the VAX.  Once this
is done things go fairly smoothly.
   We had real fun for a while since we upgraded to 4.3-Tahoe from Ultrix 2.0
which is a DECized 4.2.  Since 4.3 didn't support the VAX 8250 we have, we
had to do the more tricky upgrade.  It _is_ possible though, but it would have
taken me considerably longer without Chris's help.

>--
>In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 7163)
>Domain:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris

					Lee Heins, EXNET Programmer
					Iowa State U. Extension
					...!hplabs!hp-lsd!atanasoff!heins