Vi and tabs (RTFM?)

Brian V. Smith envbvs at epb2.lbl.gov
Wed Jun 21 07:17:19 AEST 1989

In article <4732 at alvin.mcnc.org>, spl at mcnc.org (Steve Lamont) writes:

> What is the magic set of incantations to stop vi from inserting
> gratutious (at least from my perspective) tabs in text while doing
> autoindent?  F'rinstance if I type something like
>
> 	function( parameter1,
> 		  parameter2,
> 		  parameter3 );
>
> vi very 'helpfully' will stick a tab and some spaces before the string
> 'parameter3.'  I would prefer spaces (humor me :-) ).
>
> As they say on the radio talk shows, "I'll take my answer on the air."
> That is, email will do just fine.

I just happened to be looking in the newsgroup 'comp.lang.fortran'
(don't ask why) and I came across the following article:

< Article 1784 of comp.lang.fortran

< From: bobal at microsoft.UUCP (Bob Allison)
<
< Not that this has anything to do with FORTRAN, but for those of us
< who love autoindent, but don't like tabs, the appropriate vi setting is:
<
< :set ai ts=90
<
< This is great since it will autoindent, but it won't use a tab unless you're
< beyond the 90th column (I rarely write a line longer than 80 characters), so
< it just blank-fills.
<

[stuff about Fortran 88 deleted ]

< Bob Allison