Why does "file" change the creation time on some Unix systems?

Roger B.A. Klorese rogerk at mips.COM
Wed Jun 14 05:01:10 AEST 1989

In article <2268 at faline.bellcore.com> hill at faline.UUCP (Chris Hill) writes:
>In article <> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>If what you say is completely true, you must be running a pretty bizarre
>>version of UNIX; no version I know of maintains the *creation* time of a
>>file.
>
>If so, to what "creation" time does the -c option of ls refer?

No "creation" time at all, but a "change" time, that of the inode when
the permissions, ownership, etc. are changed.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE      MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.      phone: +1 408 720-2939
928 E. Arques Ave.  Sunnyvale, CA  94086             voicemail: +1 408 991-7802