Is there any wordprocessor in unix

Unix Access Bulletin Bord bbs at nebulus.UUCP
Wed Jun 28 23:14:22 AEST 1989

In article <1989Jun28.044952.7861 at ctr.columbia.edu>, seth at ctr.columbia.edu (Seth Robertson) writes:
> In article <19907 at cup.portal.com> dbell at cup.portal.com (David J Bell) writes:
> >From David Goodenough:
> >>
> >>Nothing WYSIWYG (thank goodness :-) )
>

> The actual reason why there are no WordPerfect-like (or WYSIWYG-like)
> editors on BSD or SV or SunOS is because ASCII terminals can't do
> graphics (like fonts or scaling or most anything).

Am I missing something?  I was under the impression that Word Perfect was
available for UNIX systems (System V anyways).  Also, there are a number
of other packages commercially available that allow full screen word processor
type functions.  Crystalwriter is one, and I think MS Word is even available
for UNIX (Again, System V, I don't know what's available for BSD)

While it's true that ASCII Terminals cant do graphics like a PC, they can do
the basic ANSI graphics set (Most of the common terminals anyway) and
that is really all that is necessary for a word processing package.  Doing
things like fonts and scaling as such is more a Desktop Publishing
application, but that's another story (Sigh).

There may even be Desktop Publishing packages available for specific terminal
types available, I don't know...

Regards,
Richard Meesters