passwd file corrupted

Clarence Dold dold at mitisft.Convergent.COM
Wed Jun 28 02:07:33 AEST 1989

in article <664 at sumax.UUCP>, vanmane at sumax.UUCP (Mohan Vanmane) says:

> I have a Convergent Tech miniframe running unix system V.
> Last thing I did on the system was change the root password (while
> I was logged in as root).

> How can I bring this machine down to administrative mode so that I can
> change the password file?

How can I tell, via news, whether this is a legitimate request from an
authorized System Administrator, or a joke from an 'Intro to UNIX' student
that has a bet with his teacher that he can break into the system?
--
---
Clarence A Dold - dold at tsmiti.Convergent.COM		(408) 434-5293