Replacing login on telnet

Frank W. Peters peters at cc.msstate.edu
Fri Jun 2 02:45:34 AEST 1989

Hello,

     We have a UNIX box (a sequent) which is dedicated to providing access to a library book database.  On all of the public directly connected terminals we
have replaced the login process with the database system so that a user does
not need to go through a login prcess to make queries.

     We would like to connect the system to our campus network.  What we would
like to be able to do is have people telnet to the sequent and get the
database screen instead of a login prompt.  Does any body know of a convenient
way to do this?  It seems that modifications to telnetd would be necessary.
If so, who extensive would those modifications need to be?

     Please, don't send concerns about security and problems with determining
terminal type and so forth...we are aware of and considering these issues.  All
we need to know is if it is technically possible to do this.

Thanks
--Frank

| Systems & Networks Programmer      |   Mississippi State University  |
| Phone:    (601) 325-2942           |   Computing Center and Services |
| Internet:  peters at CC.MsState.Edu   |   Post Office Drawer CC         |
| BITNET:    PETERS at MSSTATE.BITNET   |   Mississippi State, MS.  39762 |