Vi

Larry Baca vwa0201 at marst2.UUCP
Thu Jun 8 01:42:45 AEST 1989

In article <19890 at adm.BRL.MIL>, thoyt at ddn-wms.arpa (Thomas Hoyt) writes:
> Folks:
>    Can Vi reformat a paragraph, justifying it properly(left, right, or center-
> ed)?  I hate editing text when I have to rejustify the right margin by hand
> after deleting or adding to a line at the top of a paragraph.  If it is possible,
> how can I do it?  Thanks much.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Maybe this will help....
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Printed 5/25/89                                                 1
para(1)             UNIX Programmer's Manual		  para(1)

NNNAAAMMMEEE
     para  - A New vi FEATURE

SSSYYYNNNTTTAAAXXX
     None

FFFUUUNNNCCCTTTIIIOOONNNAAALLL DDDEEESSSCCCRRRIIIPPPTTTIIIOOONNN
     For those users who use the vi editor to do correspondence,
     rather than Qoffice, there is a new feature available now
     for the vi editor which will allow you to insert or delete
     text and have the system re-wrap the text for you.  No
     longer will you have to manually edit each line affected
     when a change is made.

     The program, obtained from Gould as public-domain, is called
     pppaaarrraaa and requires only one addition to each user's library.

     A ...eeexxxrrrccc file must be established (if not already there) in
     each user's home directory that wishes to use para, which
     contains information similar to the following:

       set redraw ai tabstop=0 ignorecase
       map #1 !}para -l79
       map #2 !}para -l75 -i5
       map #3 !}para -l70 -i10
       map #4 !}para -l65 -i15
       map ^[n	!}para -l79 -i5
       map ^[m	!}para -l75 -i10
       map ^[v	!}para -l70 -i5
       map ^[t	!}para -l65 -i10

     The ###111,,, ###222,,, ###333,,, ###444 parameters relate to the PF1-PF4 keys on
     the 10-key pad on the Visual keyboards; the ^^^[[[nnn,,, ^^^[[[mmm,,, ^^^[[[vvv
     aaannnddd ^^^[[[ttt refer to pressing the <<<EEESSSCCC>>> key followed by nnn,,, mmm,,, vvv
     ooorrr ttt respectively.

     The ---lll parameter followed by a number equates to the number
     of characters per line desired; the ---iii parameter equates to
     the number of characters to be indented.

     The rewrap function occurs from the point at which the cur-
     sor is positioned when the appropriate key is pressed
     through the remainder of the paragraph.  Therefore, you may
     want to set up function keys that will indent the first line
     of the paragraph five spaces more than the remainder of the
     paragraph.  For example, positioning the cursor on the first
     line of a pargraph and pressing the #1 (PF3) key would
     indent that line 10 spaces; moving the cursor to the next
     line and pressing the <ESC> v key would indent the remainder
     of the paragraph only 5 spaces.

     You may choose which keys to set up to perform various

Printed 5/25/89                                                 1
para(1)             UNIX Programmer's Manual		  para(1)

     rewapping of lines; be careful, however, that you don't make
     it too complicated for the user to remember!

Printed 5/25/89                                                 2
--
LARRY BACA, SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR, [4m(MARST1 MARST2)[0m   marst2!lbaca