Reserving the printer

kees huizing wsinkees at tuewsd.UUCP
Mon Jun 5 20:07:16 AEST 1989

In article <1989May26.212923.4752 at eci386.uucp> woods at eci386.UUCP (Greg Woods) writes:
>In article <2465 at cveg.uucp> dws at cseg.uucp (David W. Summers) writes:
>>
>> I have a question that I've not seen anyone address before.  I would like to be
>> able to lock out the automatic spooling of print jobs and reserve the printer
>> for my program's use until it is finished printing and then have the normal
>> print spooling take effect again [....]
>
>WHY?  If you want to share the printer, you have to respect the
>protocol for doing so.
  ... deleted ...
Why?  Maybe because you want to print double-sided.  Our laserprinter can
easily be fed with previous output, thus printing double-sided and saving
a LOT of trees.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to do this
without the risk that my backsides are printed with someone else's stuff.
Computer-(user)s are the biggest paper wasters ever.  Are there people in
this community thinking about ways to save paper like this?

(Sorry for jumping into this discussion, I am NOT the contibutor of the
original article).

Kees Huizing
wsinkees at eutrc3.UUCP  or  wsdckeesh at heitue5.BITNET