Frequently asked questions in these groups deserve a monthly posting

Paul Houtz gph at hpsemc.HP.COM
Thu Jun 8 02:04:13 AEST 1989

guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:

>	Later on in this article, you'll see the answers to some Frequently
>	Asked Questions.  Please don't ask these questions again, they've
>	been answered plenty of times already.  Thank you.  ...

>so, while it's not absolutely *necessary* that they read the FAQ posting
>first, it is certainly *recommended* that they do so, and this is a Good
>Thing.  For one thing, if they find the answer in that posting, it may
>mean their question'll be answered more quickly than if they posted

    Sorry, but I disagree entirely with this portion of the posting.
    Reason:  Some jerk will definitely flame.

    You seem to think that all newsreaders are alike.  They aren't.
    You seem to think that all system administrators are alike.  They aren't.
    You seem to think that everyone who posts to a group will have read it
        for months before posting.   They don't, and I don't think they should.

    I know that it is SUGGESTED that people read the group for a while before
    they post, but it isn't always necessary or desireable.  It will be very
    easy for someone new to the group who missed this discussion to miss the
    summary and post a question that has already been asked.

    Therefore, I suggest that we handle this by making the posting of the
    summary as a convenience for readers and NEVER say "Please don't ask
    these questions again".

    Anyone who has read that far in the summary will know not to ask those
    questions again.