alias to link cd to pwd

David C Lawrence tale at pawl.rpi.edu
Sat Jun 10 04:09:25 AEST 1989

In <2801 at helios.ee.lbl.gov> envbvs at epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) writes:
> The trouble with the $cwd variable is that it doesn't know anything
> about symbolic links (at least on Ultrix, SunOs 3.5, Sunos 4.0.1 or
> 4.2BSD).  So, if you cd to /usr/adm (for example) on a system where
> that is really a symlink to /usr/var/adm, $cwd will be equal to
> "/usr/adm", when the path is really "/usr/var/adm."

% set hardpaths

This works on all cshs that know about the hardpaths variable, among
them the csh that comes with SunOS.  It also applies to pushed
directories listed with "dirs".

Some people like the fact that the name of the symlink is used rather
than the hardpath.  I don't, but since it can be done either way, so
what?

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale at pawl.rpi.edu" "tale at itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale at rpitsmts.bitnet"))
  "I realize the Internet isn't the whole world, but it is the center of it."