Unix regular expression question grep, sed

gregg.g.wonderly gregg at cbnewsc.ATT.COM
Thu Jun 8 00:54:02 AEST 1989

>From article <9429 at alice.UUCP>, by ark at alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig):
> How about this?
>
> 	sed '/\/\*name\*\//,//d' <inputfile >outputfile

Not to whine too loudly, but is it really necessary to make this look
like magic?  Just because you know that the RE routines take a NULL RE
to mean 'use the last one specified', doesn't mean that such a
'feature' should always be exploited does it?

Doesn't

 	sed '/\/\*name\*\//,/\/\*name\*\//d' <inputfile >outputfile

seem to be a slightly more educational solution to someone who asked
for a solution, not knowing the answer?

Not to pick on Andrew, I just hate incomplete examples without explanations
for non-obvious things.

--
-----
gregg.g.wonderly at att.com   (AT&T bell laboratories)