Getting UNIX time from the shell

ihor.j.kinal ijk at cbnewsh.ATT.COM
Tue Jun 13 00:20:17 AEST 1989

Is there any way that I can use the date command to display the
actual UNIX time???

I have RTFM, and all the date options seem to display the
date in another format... it seems strange that  I can't get
the actual time [i.e., not have date perform any conversions].

YES, I KNOW I CAN DO THIS WITH A SIMPLE 7 LINE C PROGRAM - BUT
CAN I DO THIS WITH JUST SHELL COMMANDS??  Or possibly awk [old
awk please, since the newer awk hasn't been released yet to our customers]?

I'm using UNIX HP 5.2, on a HP 850. Pretty standard UNIX, with some
additional Berkley enhancements.

Thanks much,

Ihor Kinal
cbnewsh!ijk