SCCS vs RCS

Erik Murrey erik at mpx2.mpx.com
Fri Jun 9 01:08:12 AEST 1989

In article <19885 at adm.BRL.MIL> mark at ria-emh2.army.mil (Mark D. McKamey IM SA) writes:
>by Purdue University.  What I am looking for is a detailed comparision
>between SCCS and RCS.  Any information concerning such comparison would be
>greatly appreciated.  Thank You,

One of the things I like most about RCS is that it can collapse
keywords when checking in revisions.  This way, if I forget to check
out a file for locking, then I edit it, I can still check it in
without losing the keywords.

For example, in SCCS, a "%Z%" gets expanded into "@(#)" when checked
out (for compiling), but it cannot collapse that back to "%Z%" if I
check that version in.  In RCS, a "$Id: $" gets expanded to "$Id:
whatever $", which can be collapsed back to "$Id: $" when checked in.

This also makes distribution and updates much easier.  This was very
important in making our decision to use RCS.

.... Erik
--
Erik Murrey                            /|   //  /~~~~/  |  /
MPX Data Systems, Inc.                / | / /  /____/   |/