grep

Kim Letkeman kim at kim.misemi
Tue Jun 20 06:37:45 AEST 1989

In article <4750023 at hpirs.HP.COM>, runyan at hpirs.HP.COM (Mark Runyan) writes:
> >/ zuro at ccf3.nrl.navy.mil /  4:44 am  Jun 13, 1989 /
> >
> >  I believe that grep translates to "global regular expression print".
>
> From _The_Unix_Programming_Environment_ by Brian Kernighan and Rob Pike:
>
> p 18
>
> "...The name cames from the ed command g/regular-expression/p,..."
>
> This may not be the right answer, but it *is* documented.  :-)

You're both right, since "g/regular-expression/p" is the ed command to
do a global search for a regular expression and print each line that
matches. The short way of saying this is "global regular expression
print".

Surely there can't be many more catty ways of showing everyone how
bright we are?

Kim

...!uunet!mitel!spock!kim