Expansion of the acronym "grep"

Michael Stanley jms at hcx.uucp
Sat Jun 10 05:15:11 AEST 1989

In article <709 at palladium.UUCP>, rsilvers at palladium.UUCP (rsilvers) writes:
> [...]

I heard a long time ago that the origin of the word grep was the following
old 'ed' command:

	g/re/p

where 'g' was a command meaning global (search through whole file),
're' stood for a regular expression, and 'p' meant print.  Basically,
this command accomplished the same thing (in the editor) that grep
accomplishes at the shell level.  If anyone can confirm this, I'd
definitely be interested to hear if it is correct.  I believe I read
this in an old UNIX manual.

	Michael Stanley