Need help spawning a child

Greg Pasquariello dune at cbnewsl.ATT.COM
Thu Jun 22 23:08:30 AEST 1989

In article <12131 at bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> jik at athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>In article <873 at cbnewsl.ATT.COM> dune at cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Greg
>Pasquariello) writes:
>
>>Simply use signal() to ingnore the death of a child.  In SVR3.2 this will
>>have the desired effect of letting the child die without creating
>>zombies.
>
>I can't speak for SVR3.2, but I can tell you for sure that this will
>not work under BSD (in fact, I just checked with a five line program).
>
>Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:

What Jonathan says is correct.  The method I suggested was new to SYSV
with release 3.?.  Although the original poster asked specifically for
3.2 information, I should have stated that this method was not portable.

Greg Pasquariello
...!att!picuxa!gpasq