vi question. How to return to visual mode.

Joseph Boykin boykin at calliope.Encore.COM
Thu Jun 15 23:49:54 AEST 1989

In article <159 at jma.UUCP> max at jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) writes:
>Some times, in vi, I hit some unknown key sequence that throws me
>into a command mode that I have not been able to return to visual
>mode from.  Any ideas?

The "unknown key sequence" is "Q"; which means to "quit" from
visual mode into ex mode.  To get back into visual mode, issue
the command ":visual" (minimal abbreviation is "vi".

I sometimes use "Q", followed by a "set term=" command, followed
by a ":vi" command if I my TERM environment variable is set up wrong.
It's the only way to change terminal types from within the editor
as you can't do it from visual mode.

----

Joe Boykin
Encore Computer Corp