Starting Remote Jobs

Snoopy snoopy at sopwith.UUCP
Wed May 31 03:44:40 AEST 1989

In article <689 at mitisft.Convergent.COM> kemnitz at mitisft.Convergent.COM (Gregory Kemnitz) writes:

|> net -m <machine>  '<command string>'

| I have seen at least four different ways of doing this on different machines:

| Counterpoint:  nohup remote machine cmd &
| Convergent:    nohup rcmd machine cmd &
| Berkeley 4.2:  nohup rsh machine cmd &

| Now I see that some other UNIX uses "net".

The "net" command is from the old Berkeley Network which ran on 1200/9600
baud serial lines.  There is also the "ns" command from the Purdue
Engineering Computer Network based on 1 mega-baud digital coaxial cables:

	ns hostname  [-l user password] "commands"

And of course there is uux from the uucp world, although the commands
allowed are usually limited to rmail and rnews for security reasons.

  /_______\   qiclab!sopwith!snoopy			|  	  |
    |___|     parsely!sopwith!snoopy			| tekecs  |
    |___|     sun!nosun!illian!sopwith!snoopy		|_________|

		"I *am* the next man!" -Indy