vi editor enhancement request

Mitchell Wyle wyle at inf.ethz.ch
Wed Nov 15 20:01:47 AEST 1989

In article <456 at tron.UUCP> wali at tron.UUCP (Saleem Wali) writes:
> (vi editor) Is there anyone who knows of a utility which allows "vi" to
> display various information, e.g., the filename, time, and
> whether I am in the insert mode or in the command mode, at the top of
> the screen.

The control-G command will give you file name, if modified, line number and
current position as a percentage.    :set modeline might also help.
Vi intentionally does not put all kinds of crap on your screen (like
wordstar) other than the text.  This philosophy helps at low baud rates; I
admit that "modes" is a weakness, but you can get used to them.

>**   Westinghouse Electric Corp.   *    New on the job                  **

If you  hack the sources of stevie or the "S" vi clones to put up this mode
stuff on the top line, please post them.

-Mitch (vi fanatic) Wyle