Roles for mainframe unix and UTS vs. AIX/370 questions

Dennis P. Moynihan DMOYNIHA%WAYNEST1.BITNET at cornellc.cit.corn
Sat Sep 30 07:01:56 AEST 1989

We're in the process of reviewing mainframe based Unix systems to
run on our Amdahl 5890 (IBM compatible) processor.  We're looking at
bringing in Amdahl's UTS Unix and are reviewing AIX/370.  Our central
facility is not currently a unix shop, so I've got a few questions for
the group:

1.  What are valid roles for a mainframe based unix system?  Obviously
    departments have access to increasingly powerful workstations--we're
    looking for the right niches for each class machine.  Right now
    we see a mainframe unix system as a large file server, good for long
    running processor intensive tasks, and for handling large number of
    trival-task users (i.e. undergrads) cost effectively.  Are these valid?
    Others that we missed?
2.  For those that have selected or are thinking about selecting UTS or
    AIX/370, what prompted your decision?  What are the general advantages
    and disadvantages of each (in your view)?
3.  One of our concerns is application integration and porting between
    our departmental processors (mostly Ultrix and SUNs) and our mainframe
    system.  UTS is in lockstep with AT&T developments, while IBM seems
    to be claiming that AIX/370 will have the "best" of both System V
    and BSD.  What are your experiences with or thoughts on porting to
    these systems?

We're open to any other general comments you have on mainframe unix
systems and UTS and AIX/370 in particular.  Thanks in advance!