Encrypted Mail

Vick Khera khera at juliet.cs.duke.edu
Fri Sep 15 01:05:18 AEST 1989

In article <20858 at adm.BRL.MIL> marwood at ncs.dnd.ca (Gordon Marwood) writes:
>Does anyone know whether there is a version of mail which does automatic
>encryption/decryption.  I have seen reference to this, but cannot seem to get
>any detailed information.  I am aware that one can encrypt files and send them,
>but I am looking for something a bit more automatic than that.
>
>Gordon Marwood

At least on Sun systems we have here, there is a facility to do this. I
believe this only works on local mail. here is most of the man page.

							v.

NAME
     xsend, xget, enroll - send or receive secret mail
DESCRIPTION
     These commands implement  a  secure  communication  channel,
     which  is  like  mail(1),  but  no one can read the messages
     except  the  intended  recipient.   The  method  embodies  a
     public-key cryptosystem using knapsacks.

     To receive messages, use enroll; it asks you for a  password
     that  you must subsequently quote in order to receive secret
     mail.

     To receive secret mail, use xget.  It asks  for  your  pass-
     word, then gives you the messages.

     To send secret mail, use xsend in the  same  manner  as  the
     ordinary  mail command.  Unlike mail, xsend accepts only one
     target.  A message announcing the receipt of secret mail  is
     also sent by ordinary mail.
FILES
     /var/spool/secretmail/*.key     keys
     /var/spool/secretmail/*.[0-9]   messages
BUGS
     The knapsack public-key cryptosystem is known to  be  break-
     able.

     Secret mail should be integrated with ordinary mail.

     The announcement of secret mail makes traffic analysis  pos-
     sible.

Sun Release 4.0   Last change: 9 September 1987                 1